Wednesday, April 7, 2010

12 march 2010

BLOG ASSIGNMENT: MOITHEKI PATIENCE NTULI
CARNEGIE LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
DATE: 12-26 MARCH 201O.
VENUE: LERIBA LODGE, CENTURION SOUTH AFRICA

BACKGROUND

In 2008 the University of Pretoria Library Services was awarded a $1m grant by the Carnegie Corporation of New York (CCNY) to establish the Centre for African Library Leadership (CALL), within the Merensky Library, in Pretoria South Africa. http://www.ais.up.ac.za/aboutus/academy.htm



The CALL addresses the library leadership development needs within the South African LIS context by facilitating appropriate library leadership training and development programmes.
The Academy is designed to build leadership expertise in the academic, public/community and national libraries sectors. The programme focus is on best practices in library management, personal leadership & styles, advocacy and communication skills, organisational development, the multicultural workplace, introduction to Web 2.0 technologies, knowledge management, marketing and branding, etc. http://www.ais.up.ac.za/aboutus/academy.htm
Audience

The Academy will target senior and middle managers in academic, public/community and national libraries in South Africa. http://www.ais.up.ac.za/aboutus/academy.htm

Expectations

I attend the course because I wanted to know more about Leadership, wanted to know the differences between Leadership and Management.

I wanted to develop and empower myself as a Leader and to indentify the qualities that enhance me as a Leader.

I will make sure that I network, share and exchange ideas with other Librarians from different backgrounds, Provinces and institutions.
What I intend doing with my knowledge

I intend imparting the knowledge I have gained from attending the academy at my workplace, by organizing workshops and training sessions whereby I will train my colleagues on how to create wikis and blogs.

I will also encourage our Professional staff at our Institution to apply for the grant in order to get the opportunity to attend the academy to empower and develop them.

I will make sure that I implement some changes at our Library and make use of the new ideas I have gained from other Librarians from different institutions.

12 MARCH 2010

On the first day of the Academy we were asked to make presentation, making use of Power Point. The purpose of the presentation was to give a brief description of ourselves as individuals, talk about our Professional capacity within our institution and to indicate why we consider ourselves as Leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment